As the Southeast prepares for more cold winter temperatures, Blossman Gas shares some important propane safety tips
How to Prepare Your Home for Severe Winter Weather
· Schedule your tank and appliances for a maintenance check by your propane provider
· Be sure there is an adequate supply of fuel in the tank. Federal regulations do not allow propane providers to fill your tank more than 80%. Your optimal tank level is between 25% and 80%. If your level is below 20%, please contact your service provider for a fill.
· Keep the area around your propane tank and any vents, chimneys, flues free from ice and snow.
· Be sure your propane generator is well-maintained, stored outdoors away from open windows and doors, and there is adequate supply of fuel in the tank; and be sure to use high-quality extension cords designed for outside use to connect your propane generator to your home.
· NEVER store propane tank indoors.
· Notify your propane provider immediately if you run out of propane as a qualified technician must check for leaks before turning the gas back on.
For more resources:
About Blossman Gas: Propane is a naturally safe, clean energy source that is used in millions of homes. Blossman Gas & Appliance has been providing comfort to families throughout the Southeast for more than 60 years. Blossman is a full-service company that provides everything from propane delivery to appliance sales, installation and service. For more information, call 1.888.Blossman or visit www.blossmangas.com.